Mold in the House: What Are the Risks?

In the House MD television series, medical assistants went searching for mold in the houses of the patients every time they demonstrated any strange symptoms. Mold can cause dangerous diseases and should be taken very seriously.

Dr. Helene


What is it?

Mold includes a variety of fungal microorganisms that can be found virtually everywhere, including soil, water, air, wood, concrete, plastic, and under wallpaper. Mold can be blue, white, green, or brown. The most dangerous form of mold is when it is colored black.

Mold spreads spores by air and grows in just hours. Only two factors are enough to cause mold: temperature (72–81 °F) and humidity (80 % and above). Mold thrives in places with plastic windows as well as in apartments with many house plants.

Mold on food shouldn't be taken lightly. Any foods contaminated by mold (except famous French cheeses) should go straight into the waste bin. Mold deeply penetrates food and excretes poisonous substances, so it is not enough to cut off the moldy part and eat the rest.


Contact with mold can cause an immediate allergic reaction. However, in most cases, mold doesn't reveal itself at once.

In the beginning, it produces an intoxication effect that we relate to anything but mold.

When mold gets into the digestive system, it causes abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea.

Over time, it may cause the development of dermatoses and mycoses of the skin.

It can lead to having an unexplained headache, weakness, and drowsiness.

Mold can lead to joint pains, runny nose, dry cough, and eye inflammations.

Mold is often associated with developing diseases of the upper and lower respiratory tract including bronchitis and cases of pneumonia.

In recent years, doctors have connected prolonged contact with mold with the occurrence of malignant neoplasms.

Mold is particularly dangerous for children, older people, and individuals with a weakened immune system.

Safety measures

It is often difficult to avoid contact with mold in the modern world. However, it is necessary to take safety measures to protect yourself and your close ones:

  • Start by checking ventilation and eliminate causes of high humidity Regularly treat the places with potential for mold growth with anti-mold agents
  • Control the state of plumbing fixtures
  • Don't close the doors in the bathroom; dry sponges, rugs, and curtains.
  • Dispose of old books and newspapers where mold is quick to develop
  • Wash and dry the garbage can
  • Air out the house regularly and control the microclimate: the relative air humidity should not exceed 60 %

If, despite all efforts, you have mold in your house, treat the surfaces with special agents and try to eliminate its causes.

07 May 2021

You can discuss. Open this post in the Ornament app and add your opinion.

• 2 y.

I think , i have been exposed to mold from my basement